Search for the best brekkie - Denim





Denim is one of a number of cafes at Southbank that does a roaring trade on the weekend mornings when I've been walking past. There's always a queue which I generally take as a good recommendation.

This Sunday morning it was particularly busy as it was the monthly Young Designers Market which sparked a completely different morning outing than the usual fast paced walk.

After browsing the great fashions on offer we were ready for brekkie but the queue was long. When I finally got to order I was told it would be a 20 minute wait and it was. I appreciated being advised that I would have to wait as there's nothing worse than smelling cooking bacon and not getting any.

For the Search for the best brekkie I'm going to try a standard two eggs and bacon on toast, or as close as possible, each time. If they can make such a standard order memorable then they are doing a good job. Also it's a good benchmark for comparative pricing.

Denim's closest fit was Eggs on turkish, available scrambled or poached, with grilled roma tomato and turkish toast $7.90. I added a side of bacon $2.90. Total $10.80.

I was impressed when the meal arrived as there was a heap of bacon and the meal looked very appetising. When I started eating I noticed the bacon was soggy rather than crisp and the poached eggs were overdone rather than medium as ordered. Both the bacon and tomato were surprisingly sweet as though sugar had been added.

Overall it was a reasonable meal but not outstanding and I was left with a persistent oily film in my mouth.

The healthy option would be bircher muesli with mixed berries yoghurt and toasted almond flakes or toasted avocado with cracked pepper sea salt and lemon $7.90.

The standout breakfast option is the Big Brekkie which is scrambled or poached eggs, bacon, mushroom, chorizo, grilled roma tomato and turkish toast $16.90.

I'd love to try the Fluffy Coconut Pancakes with mixed berries vanilla ice cream and maple syrup $12.50.

Prices on the breakfast menu, available from 7 am to 3pm, range from $5.90 to $16.90.

Lunch options include a selection of pizzas around $10.50 and soup priced around $8- $12.90 .

Desserts include Italian peach sugar coated sponge soaked in Galliano with a custard centre $8.90. Mmm - these look delicious but were sold out.

The coffee is Lavazza - $3.40 for a cappuccino.

This is a dog friendly cafe and the staff happily brought water for my dog Tucker on request.

Bottom line: It's a value for money breakfast but not one you'll dream about.

Denim
Little Stanley Street, Southbank
p 3844 0302