What are you doing for Christmas - Kingfisher Bay


Kingfisher Bay on Fraser Island is another of my top spots to stay. I've been there several times with family and just as a couple and had delightful experiences. I would highly recommend a full island tour with one of the rangers who will take you to places you never would discover on your own.

I like the idea of escaping Christmas madness and heading to an island for the silly season – if only I could take my dog. (Note to my nearest and dearest – I would take you too!)

Kingfisher’s Seabelle restaurant has a six-course Christmas menu featuring fresh produce with a bush tucker twist. Traditional turkey breast will be served with pepperberry and illawara plum stuffing, and the Christmas ham will be glazed with honey – that’s me.



There are several more casual restaurants at the resort and they are serving up local seafood amongst other menu items.

Christmas Day lunch sittings start from 11.30am. Christmas prices start from $90 per person (or $45 for children 8-14 years) and include marine transfers. Ferries will depart from Urangan Boat Harbour to the resort at the special times of 0900, 1000, 1100 and 1145; returning 1500, 1530, 1630 and 1700 (approximately 45 minutes).

My tip would be forget the ferry and just stay.

If you don't know where Kingfisher Bay Resort is - just head north of Brisbane till you hit Maryborough and turn right to Hervey Bay (about 4 hrs drive or fly much quicker). Take a ferry over to the island. It's a world heritage area and absolutely fabulous. Go and enjoy.

Kingfisher Bay Resort