Search for the perfect cupcake - Chocolate Mud Cupcakes



I made these cupcakes for mum's birthday (Happy Birthday Maureen!) with a recipe from my Christmas present, The Cupcake Calendar.

They are super easy and delicious served with a dollop of cream or icecream. Raspberry sauce would work as well. They also keep well in the fridge for up to three days and I think they would cope if you froze them and then heated them individually because of the goey choc centre.

Note: Don't hesitate to take these cupcakes out when you think they could be ready (my oven is quick) even though they look uncooked. That gooey centre is to die for. I also dusted with icing sugar rather than cocoa powder as I was serving with raspberries.

Chocolate Mud Cupcakes
Ingredients
Makes 12
1 cup semi -sweet chocolate chips ( I used the best quality I could find)
300gm of unsalted butter
5 eggs
2/3 cup castor sugar
3/4 cup self raising flour
2 tbsp. good quality cocoa powder for dusting

Preheat the oven to 160C. Place 12 paper baking papers in a muffin pan.

In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter together over simmering water, stirring well. Leave to cool.

Beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until pale and thick. Fold the flour into the egg mixture and then stir in the melted chocolate and butter until well blended.

Spoon the mixture into the cups and bake for 20 minutes. The cupcakes will be soft and gooey in texture and appearance. Remove pan from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Then remove the cupcakes from pan. Serve dusted with cocoa powder.