Floraditas, Wellington, New Zealand

Sometimes when I walk through a restaurant door my inner foodie leaps with joy. Immediately there's a sense that this place might be a star with food that will be remembered long after the meal.

Floraditas is one of these. It's quirky décor gives a sense of the personality of the owners and their attention to detail. The service is flawless and the food divine.




Although I was in Wellington only for a short weekend, Floraditas was a place I managed to return to. My night time meal, a combo of two entrees was so full of flavour that my mouth is watering thinking of it now, days later.

Around the table there were little screams of delight as my companions tucked into their selections.

The next day we returned for cake and coffee – or in this case tea. Served on old fashioned flowered china, the cakes were truly delicious. My coconut ice cupcake was moist and filled with flavour. When I shut my eyes I was almost confused – was it really coconut ice or cake. My companion raved about her caramel topped ginger cake and shared a small piece from the corner – for a caramel lover like me it was a bite of heaven.




I need another cookbook like a hole in the head but couldn't resist their new 'Floraditas Morning Noon & Night' (Phantom House). It's a seasonal collection of recipes, something for every month of the year, with drink suggestions as well. I'm hooked.

Bottom line: In Wellington? Do yourself a favour and visit  Floraditas.

Floraditas, 161 Cuba Street, Wellington
More information: www.wellingtonnz.com
Where to stay - www.mercure.com