Here's some of my favourite picnic spots around Brisbane. Where are yours?
Roma Street Parklands
Kangaroo Point Cliffs
Mary Cairncross Reserve, Sunshine Coast Hinterland
Make your Christmas picnic a little more special than the norm with some extra effort to coordinate your picnic wares and theme your picnic spread.
Here's 10 top tips from David Jones for organising the perfect picnic this festive season.
1. Prepare just a few things and do them well. To ease up on the cooking visit your local deli or check the gourmet section in David Jones and top up with a few goodies like olives, beautiful cheese and crackers.
2. For the ideal Christmas Picnic take a Christmas ham or roast turkey, accompany it with some salad, mayonnaise, cranberry sauce, stuffing and delicious fresh bread and let everyone make their own Christmas sandwich.
3. Put small bottles of water or juice in the freezer for a few hours. These can then double-up as chiller-blocks to keep food cool and when you reach your picnic spot, the drinks will still be cold.
4. Choose foods to serve all at the same time. The fun of a picnic is to spread all the food on the blanket and let everyone laze around, helping themselves. Pack plenty of fabulous picnic ware to add extra style.
5. Celebrate Christmas with some sparkling wine or champagne and if you are going to serve a decent wine then it seems a waste to serve in plastic glasses. Take some real glasses with holders that stick into the ground.
6. If you don’t have a rubber based picnic rug put a plastic drop sheet under your blanket to avoid damp areas. Or if you are picnicking near a beach don’t forget your beach towels.
7. Take a quality cane picnic basket to add elegance to your picnic or opt for practical cool boxes and bags to keep food fresh in the summer heat.
8. Take plastic bags with you, one for rubbish and one for dirty plates and utensils.
9. A picnic wouldn’t be complete without some outdoor fun, so pack the football, frisby or boules.
10. And don’t’ forget these picnic essentials….insect repellent, sun tan lotion, bottle opener, napkins and cutlery and matches if you plan to bbq.