Friday

Ruby Cafe, Paddington


It's only been open a week but Ruby Cafe on Given Terrace has already found a following.

You'll find it on the bottom half of the terrace, almost directly opposite Montrachet.  Look for red awnings and tables with chairs on the foot path.  The site used to be home to a hairdresser.



There was a  fair sprinkling of patrons enjoying the atmosphere for a weekday lunch on Thursday and I've heard breakfasts are busy.



There's a great picture window at the back with a view over Paddington and Red Hill towards St Bridget's Church.  It's amazingly green for inner city and shows off Brisbane's timber and tin heritage, just glad I don't live in one any more.

We were at Ruby for lunch and coffee and our choices included a wrap from the cabinet which was grilled and tasted just fine thanks. I went for the rocket salad with salted pecan, baby beetroot, du puy lentils, persian fetta and chardonnay dressing ($14) which was light and tasty but I'd like to suggest the chef trim the stalks on the parsley to make the salad easier to eat.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it hard to stuff those errant stalks into their mouth and also they are a bit tough - just saying!




Others I'll be back to try include the smoked salmon and red quinoa burger with soy roasted beetroot, kewpie mayo and a side of fries.  The Roasted kipfler potato with lavender salt also has me intrigued.

Got to say that I think the breakfast menu looks a bit more exciting than lunch with bubble and squeak hash cakes, wilted spinach and beetroot leaves, poached egg and basil hollandaise or coiled fennel and chilli sausage, tomato and pepper chutney, fried egg and watercress just two of the great options.

Then there's the blueberry buttermilk pancakes with white balsamic strawberries and Canadian maple syrup.  Do I need to say more?

Bottom line - New to Given Terrace, check it out and tell us what you think.


Ruby Cafe on Urbanspoon

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey...Ruby Cafe is at 233 Given Terrace, Paddington next door to the Always Habit fashion shop and straight across the road from the Montrachet Restaurant ;)

Anonymous said...

great review, i took and friend to ruby for breakfast over the weekend and it was super tasty!, the pancakes are amazing. we found we weren't waiting long for our meals and there was a great selection to choose from, however i must say that the staff on the floor really let the team down, i found myself having to interrupt their inappropriate tales from their weekend to get a coffee etc.
BUT all in all i was very happy

lindseyjanepelling said...

Had lunch there today. Yummy food. 4 of us dined - I had the smoked salmon and quinoa burger (delish) and my dining partners had the philly steak burger, pulled pork burger, and the rocket salad (as per your review) respectively. We were all totally happy with our choices.

Serves quite small (IMO) however perhaps I'm just used to massive serves that leave you feeling full and like you need a good sleep (not good).

Drink-wise, I had the 'Ruby shot' (an espresso shot with a splash of condensed milk), which was yummy. My dining partners each got the 'Ruby Mix' - a blended juice, which among other ingredients, contained aloe vera juice. They all loved the juice, which would also be great with a nip of vodka or gin.

Service was 'ok'. Waitress was not overly friendly and must have dropped a knife/fork/spoon on the wooden floor about 3 different times, totally shooting our nerves.

Would definitely go back again!

Kerry Heaney said...

I was eyeing off the smoked salmon and quinoa burger - on my list for next time now - thank you!

Sandy said...

I love this place. It just has such a great vibe with its simple but well planned decor to suit the name. It's one of those places where you actually want to sit inside rather than footpath dining. The bubble & squeak cakes are to die for.

Kerry Heaney said...

I thought the big picture window at the back overlooking Red Hill's old houses was a pretty good spot to dine too.

Anonymous said...

The food is ok...the staff are devoid of personality. Not a friendly place to eat.

Anonymous said...

I have been to Ruby twice and each time I've been disappointed. They 'forgot' our order the first time, and thus we had to wait a very long time for our 'small' meals to appear. The 2nd visit was not much better. The food was average and the service was dreadful. Not impressed. It looks lovely, but looks can be deceiving.

Gastronomy Gal said...

I will be sure to check it out. Looks cute and I like that Paddo has more places popping up.