How to make broccolini taste so good you'll lick the plate!


I've always liked broccolini but when a whole cool box full of the stuff arrived, I was wondering how I would get through it.

So I asked my Facebook friends how they like to eat this vegetable.

Sasha said -  Throw into a pasta (preferably Casarecce) with pancetta, chilli, shallots/onion, white wine, salt and pepper.

Jay likes it - With poached eggs and hollandaise

Simone said -  Make a pesto with it - delish, mix thru pasta or put on top of bruschetta. Try tempura with a delish miso / soy/ garlicky dressing! Another way is a simple salad side dish, blanched quickly with a dressing, parmesan and pine nuts.

Karis suggested -  Roasted with olive oil and almonds and I'll second the parmesan and pine nuts option.

Theresa likes -  Pasta with chorizo, roasted capsicum and broccolini. I use chilli oil to make it a little extra spicy.

And super chef Alastair McLeod gave his  

Buttermilk Dressing recipe 


100ml buttermilk
70g sour cream
60g mayonnaise
50ml lemon juice
1 tbs sherry vinegar
1 small garlic clove, crushed
Sea salt and freshly milled pepper

 
Method: Combine all ingredients and whisk together. Adjust seasoning


But the recipe from Claire K Creations was my favourite, especially since I didn't have to go to the shops to buy one ingredient - it was all in my cupboard/fridge.  I recommend that you try it this way, it's just superb. Pictured above.


Claire's broccolini

2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp honey
salt & pepper
2 bunches broccolini
2 tbsp crushed, roasted pecans
2 tbsp crumbled feta

Chop the ends of the broccolini stalks off and separate them into small pieces.

Put the broccolini in a colander and run it under hot water until it turns a vibrant green. Run it under cold water to stop it cooking.

Drain the broccolini and arrange it on a serving platter.

Scatter the feta and roasted pecans over the top.

Make the dressing by whisking the lemon juice, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper together (use as much salt and pepper as you like).

Drizzle the dressing over the salad.


Disclaimer: What else could I do with a big box of Perfection Fresh broccolini sent to me.