Me and Gustav – my Austrian love affair



I was just 17 and it was love at first sight.

He captured my heart with the gleaming, rich colour and beauty of his paintings which spoke to me of life and love.

I found him lying on table amongst a loose pile of large books. It was a bound folio of Gustav Klimt’s paintings - “The Kiss”, “Judith” and “Farm Garden with Sunflowers”.

Now, after more years than I care to think about, I have finally seen his work in the flesh at Prince Eugene’s Palace in Vienna, Austria.





The Belvedere is two palaces in one – the Upper and Lower Belvedere. Both were built in the 18th century as the summer residence for Prince Eugene of Savoy (1663-1736) by Baroque architect Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt (1668-1745).

It’s considered one of the world’s finest Baroque landmarks.





Sadly I can't share any more photos of the palace interior as the rooms where the paintings are hung are photography no-go zones.

But the good news is that Visions of Vienna, a live concert with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, will coat the Sydney Opera House in Klimt's work.  Take a look below.






Find out more at Vienna Now or Never

More posts on Vienna

10 Things you need to know about Viennese cakes and coffee shops

Where to find the best wiener schnitzel in Vienna

Disclaimer: Ed+bK visited Vienna as the guest of the Vienna Tourist Board