When only the best chocolate will do




I’ll take one mouthful of rich, velvety Belgian chocolate over a whole block of the supermarket stuff any day of the week so it didn’t take me long to beat a path to Couverture & Co at Red Hill.

Just a few doors away from super salad shop Botanica and Plum Tucker on Enoggerra Terrace, Couverture & Co is owned by Jessica Brookes (pictured above).

Jess says she’s always loved cooking and chocolate is her weakness.




“When I was little I would request a box of chocolates from the Easter bunny instead of the usual foil wrapped bunny, I’d then try to savour the box for as long as possible!’, she says.

“When I returned home to Brisbane after working as a journalist for a few years in Oman, I decided to follow my passion for chocolate. I approached Bittersweet and was lucky enough to get a job working in their kitchen and behind the counter at their Barracks shop.

“All of the skills I’ve learnt were taught to me by Bittersweet’s owner, Melissa Atkinson. Melissa in turn was taught by her late mother-in-law Anne Atkinson, who established Bittersweet and who was a well-known chocolatier in Brisbane for over 20 years.

“I was so sad when Bittersweet closed and rather at a loss, so I decided to take the plunge and start up my own business and that was how Coverture & Co. came about.”

   


Couverture & Co. uses traditional methods, including hand tempering, dipping and piping all chocolates, to make their decadent treats and offers some unusual ingredients and flavour pairings from around the world. The range of flavours will varies from the traditional, such as dark chocolate truffles, to the more novel, like banoffee, white chocolate and tonka, and stuffed dates


Inside a stuffed date

Jess introduces a new flavours every few months just to keep things a bit interesting. Look out for an ale or stout flavoured chocolate for Father's day.


Top row, left to right: Orange and Poppy Seed, Hazelnut, Lemon (dark),
Second row, left to right: Lemon (milk), Cherry Marsala, Raspberry (milk & dark)
Third row, left to right: Dark chocolate with cocoa nibs, Milo, Tonka, Fig & Amaretto
Bottom row, left to right: Peppermint (milk & dark), fresh medjool date with candied orange, fresh medjool date filled with coffee cream - both dates are twice dipped in dark chocolate


Chocolates are available by the piece or customers can individually select an assortment in a bag or boxed.




Couv19A Enogerra Terrace, Red Hill
Open Tuesday to Friday 10am – 6pm, Saturday to Sunday 9am -2pm

Kerry Heaney 

Bottom line: High-quality chocolates don't come cheap but they are worth the extra.

Best tip: Balance a healthy salad from Botanica with beautiful chocolate and feel no guilt

Disclaimer: Ed+bK purchased chocolates.