Vodka, Chilli and Choc chip cupcakes recipe


When I flipped over the page on my 500 cupcakes desktop cupcake calendar I was hooked, I just couldn't resist the idea of this flavour combination, vodka/chill/chocolate, especially since the recipe includes a syrup which is poured over the still-warm-from-the-oven cupcakes.

I've tried chilli chocolate and like it, though I'm definitely more of a fan of the mild rather than hot variety.

You might want to play with the chilli/chocolate balance. I think I would up the chilli a smiggin next time.  I served these with a dollop of cream.


Vodka, chilli and chocoate cupcakes

3 tbsp vodka
225g unsalted butter, softened
225g castor sugar
225 self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
1tbsp finely chopped red chilli (I used Creative Gourmet)
75g dark choc chips

for the syrup
5 tbsp vodka
2 tbsp light brown sugar


Preheat the oven to 175 celesius. Place 18 paper baking cases in muffin tins. ( Made mine bigger so there were only 12)

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs to the mixture, one by one, while beating. Sift the flour with the baking powder and add gradually to the mixture. Add the vodka, chilli and choc chips. Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 20 minutes.  Cupcakes are cooked when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

While the cupcakes are in the oven, combine the syrup ingredients in a pan. Disolve the sugar in the vodka over low heat and simmer for five minutess.  When the cupcakes are cooked and still in the baking tin, poke holes in them with a toothpick and pour the warm syrup over. Remove the cupcakes and cool on a rack.

* Recipe from '500 Cupcakes', Sellers Publishing.

Share with your friends


Share
|