Search for the best brekkie - 2009 highlights

The search for the best brekkie came about after a few disappointing breakfasts. It’s disappointing when you are eating out if you can cook a better breakfast at home, unless you just going for the convenience factor and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Outstanding breakfasts have something extra, something unexpected that puts a smile on your face and a happy feeling in your tummy.

I’m down on brekkies where the eggs are tasteless and the toast ordinary. If it's overly sweet or leaves a nasty oily film in my mouth afterwards when I should just be remembering how delicious the meal tasted, I am not happy. If the chef has to use that much sugar and oil to make taste good, dine somewhere else.

Another pet hate is pre buttered toast on the side – I like to do that myself thanks. And if you’re doing it to hide cheap marg, give up now because it tastes different (narsty).

To give a good comparison, I tried to stick to a standard brekkie of two eggs and bacon. Sometimes I got bored (no apologies) and broke out.  I think, generally, you get what you pay for.  Prices range from under $10 to close to $20.  The bigger the price, the more bacon and extras.

Here are my picks for 2009.

Best brekkie with a view - Sunshine Coast - Bistro C


Bistro C is right on the beach front and is a reliable spot for a meal. They offer breakfast from 7.30 - 11am and the menu is reasonably extensive. We just strolled in and were lucky to get a table outside, right at the front with fabulous views to the ocean. There are plenty of tables inside which also offer ocean views. My choice was my standard bacon and eggs poached on toast with tomato. ($15). The egg yolks were bright yellow and the bacon crispy. There was a nice side of rocket as well A good brekkie that left me feeling happy and well fed. I'd definitely do it again. more...
Bistro C, 49 Hastings Street, Noosa Heads. p 5447 2855

Best brekkie with a view - Brisbane - Café San Marco



It’s hard to go past the river views from Café San Marco on the board walk at Southbank. It’s a bit of a South Bank institution, having been opening its doors for more than 15 years. Located a little upstream from Southbank’s famous beach and just across from the CityCat stop, this café has outstanding views across, up and down the river. The breakfast special was Mimosa Eggs Benedict, with a glass of champagne orange juice ($13.90). Our other selection was a berry pancake stack. Breakfast on weekends from 8 to 11.30am. more...
Café San Marco, 41b South Bank Parklands, + 61 7 3846 4334 www.cafesanmarco.com

Best value brekkie- Seafood Lovers Cafe




It sounds a bit silly to send you to a seafood cafe for bacon and eggs, but I can tell you it's worth it.
This place is a little gem with well priced food and great ocean views. At $9 for a 'big brekkie' I was not expecting the world, but when it arrived I was amazed at how much there was on the plate. A little inspection showed that careful arrangement created the illusion of abundance and there was no more food than normal, but it certainly was good value for the price. My only criticism is that they used cheap margarine on the pre-buttered toast instead of butter and the sausage - not my sorta thing at all.  more...
Seafood Lovers Cafe, Shp 2/ 139 Margate Parade, Margate.

Best brekkie Brisbane - Salt 





The Salt Breakfast - is poached or scrambled eggs, honey roasted bacon, honey roasted bacon, port jus and toasted turkish bread. At $16.90 it's not a cheap brekkie but a complimentary coffee on weekdays makes it a really good deal, and it tastes so good I'd pay that on the weekend anyhow. I liked the way the eggs were presented in little bowls so the yolks didn't run into anything I didn't want them to. There was lots of really great bacon and the toasted turkish bread came in fingers which you could dip into the eggs if you wanted to. The port jus was very dark and rich and a great contrast to the fresh taste of the eggs. more...
Salt, 2/5 Nash St, Rosalie, 3367 0775

Best brekkie Gold Coast - Spendlove





Spendlove is the sort of place where they bring you a glass of water without being asked. There's soothing background music and plenty of papers to read while waiting for brekkie to arrive. My Spendlove mini ($13.50) included rashers of bacon, two eggs, toasted Vienna bread and herb crusted tomato. It came exactly as described. The eggs had bright yellow yolks and there was plenty of delicious crispy grilled bacon. The tomato had a crusty breadcrumb topping which was a great addition. The breakfast menu is available until midday and offers eggs nine ways eggs & pancakes muesli fruit salad. more...
Spendlove Bistro and Bar, 11 The Markets, 107 The Brickworks, Ferry Road, Southport

Best non egg brekkie - The Chelsea



I was over my standard bacon and two eggs this morning and just liked the sound of Bubble and squeak. I wasn't disappointed - the eggs were nicely poached, the toast crisp and the vegetable melange well flavoured. However when my partner offered me a taste of his Poached pear on french toasted brioche with blueberry curd and ricotta, the world stopped! This is a show stopping combination - the blueberry curd is so rich and thick it looks like chocolate and tastes divine. Combined with the french toasted brioche, ricotta and pear - well the effect is amazing.  I got the recipe for this one...more...
The Chelsea, The Barracks, 5 Petrie Terrace, Paddington. 07 3367 1288