Sticky Toffee Pudding Cupcakes


Inspired by my new Sunbeam Pattie cupcake maker I’ve been experimenting with cupcakes. Here’s a warning to my friends – expect to see lots of cupcakes at every occasion!

I love the convenience of making cupcakes with ‘Miss Pattie’ without having my kitchen turn into an inferno!

My latest effort was for a dinner party gathering of a large group of friends. I had to make the cupcakes again because I forgot to photograph them on the night!



The recipe is adapted from ‘500 cupcakes’ by Fergal Connolly.

Sticky Toffee Pudding Cupcakes
Makes 8

Cupcakes
175g flour
100g brown sugar
4 fl oz milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
200g chopped dates (I found pre-chopped dates in a 200gm packet which made it all very easy.)

Topping
200g brown sugar
2tbs unsalted butter
500ml boiling water

Method
Beat the milk, eggs, vanilla and butter until smooth and pale, about 2 to 3 minutes. Sift in the flour and sugar (I sift the brown sugar as it often has large lumps in it). Fold in the dates.

Topping: Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top of the batter in each cupcake. Add ½ tablespoon of melted butter, then pour about 1 tablespoon of water over each.

Note: I found silver foil cupcake cases were best.

Baking instructions: Sunbeam Patty Cupcake Maker - I filled the cases to the brim and cooked these for 12 minutes. Standard oven - Preheat the oven to 190C. Bake for 25 minutes.

Serving: I like them served with a good caramel sauce and a blob of thick cream. You can invert the cupcake for a different look.

Caramel sauce
1 cup brown sugar
300ml thickened cream
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
60g butter, chopped

Combine sugar, cream, vanilla and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes or until boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Pour warm sauce over warm cake. This sauce stores well in the fridge but don’t eat it cold –it tastes delicious and you won’t want to stop.