Inspired by the current cold weather, I’m fast becoming a comfort food queen and, for me, nothing says it more than a warming cooked breakfast.
The sort of breakfast that sticks to your sides taking you through to dinner with just a few snacks along the way – okay I’m not perfect!
Hilton Executive Chef Jeremy Clark is a man who understands breakfast and the pure joys of simple food that brings back memories that warm the heart as well as the stomach. He’s taken some tips from his days working under award-winning Sydney chef Serge Dansereau, to create a new dish crammed full of breakfast protein.
Served with a Lyonnaise sausage and two poached eggs, it’s a great way to start the day. I particularly liked the Lyonnaise sausage as it oozed meaty flavour without any unnecessary extra garlic or flavouring. It’s the sort of sausage that you’ll enjoy eating and not remember eating it all through the day, if you know what I mean.
The Hilton’s buffet breakfast also includes all the components for the dish so you can put it together yourself if you like. You might be tempted to load up on those delicious beans!
If you can’t make it to the Hilton the recipe is below. Or if you'd like to try it leave a comment below and you can have one of 20 two for one vouchers I have to give away.
(RRP $76 for 2 x Complete Full Buffet Breakfast. Only pay $38.)
Home Baked Beans with Ham HockServes six
200ml olive oil Italian Rosa
250g brown onion, chopped
50g fresh whole peeled garlic
4 standard tins of Italian crushed tomatoes
1 ham hock
300gm cannellini beans (soak beans overnight prior to use)
Half a bunch of oregano
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat
2. Sauté the chopped onions and garlic still soft but no colour
3. Puree the crushed tomatoes and add to the saucepan
4. Add the ham hock and cannellini beans
5. Sir well, add half of the chopped oregano and ½ a cup of water
6. Cook over a low heat just simmering for 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally
7. Remove the ham hock and shred the meat and return to the saucepan
8. Add the remaining chopped oregano and season well.
Serve with poached eggs and Lyonnaise sausage
Bottom line: Great tasting breakfast
Best tip: Take advantage of weekend city parking rates and rediscover the CBD.
Hilton Brisbane, 190 Elizabeth St, Brisbane
How to enter and important stuff
- Leave a comment below sharing your favourite breakfast and enter the giveaway through Rafflecopter
- Please leave your blog post comment under the same name that you enter the giveaway
- You must leave a blog post comment to be eligible for the giveaway.
- Share the giveaway on your social networks and with your friends.
- The giveaway is available to Australian residents.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclaimer: Ed+bK was a guest of Hilton Brisbane.