For 12 days the Forecourt in front of the Performing Arts Centre on the Brisbane River will be filled with hungry crowds chowing down on delicious Asian-inspired flavours, finishing on July 31. It opens at 5pm weekdays and 4pm on weekend.
Amongst the stalls you’ll find black truffle ramen at Taro’s Ramen, Fat Pho at Fat Noodle, prawn shumai dumplings, Sake and Raindrop Cake at Harajuku Gyoza, steamed duck buns at Madame Wu, plus for the first time Sydney’s Black Star Pastry.
Here’s how to make the most of the markets -
1. Get there early if you want to beat the queues. But if you don’t at least you’ll know which stalls have the most sought after food.
2. Go in a group and leave one person as a table spotter, holder and the rest as runners for the food. You’ll find some of the drinks stands will come to you if you are at the bridge end of the markets.
3. The stalls are cashless, so make sure you take your cards with you or you’ll go home hungry.
4. Plan your attack by visiting the Night Noodle Markets website and downloading the menu.
|Hoy Pinoy’s Filipino street food.|
5. The award for most smoke and drama goes to Hoy Pinoy’s Filipino street food. You’ll want to wrap your lips around their baboy (smoked chopped pork belly), inihaw na baboy (pork belly skewers and inhaw na manonk (chicken skewers). No problems finding this stall, just head to the bridge end and look for the smoke.
|Bao trifecta of fully steamed buns|
6. Best bao buns award goes to Bao Stop for their bao trifecta of fully steamed buns filled with fried chicken, and three-hour braised pork and peking duck.
|Want some yum cha?|
|Let’s Do Yum Cha|
7. Let’s Do Yum Cha has a plate full with a BBQ pork bun, chicken and pork dim sims, and a vege dumpling.
|Australia’s most instagramed cake, Black Star Pastry’s Strawberry Watermelon Cake with Rosewater Cream.|
8. Best dessert is what is said to be Australia’s most instagramed cake, Black Star Pastry’s Strawberry Watermelon Cake with Rosewater Cream. It’s very light, but the delicate flavours are a taste sensation. Well worth the waiting time in the queue.
9. Chill out in the Cathay Pacfic plaza overlooking the river bank and work out which of your food photos to enter into their competition.
10.Best parking is under QPAC and costs $16 for the evening. You can bring your dog to the event but keep it away from the food stalls.