Ferry Road Markets at Southport




I'd heard much about these markets styled along the same lines at the James Street Market in Brisbane, but hadn't made a visit. It's certainly a great place to browse and shop and if I was a local it would be high on my 'must' list. There's everything from beautiful fresh flowers to the fine fruit and veg. The whole fish on display in the fish market were in peak condition with nice firm eyes, just the sort you'd want to take home and bake whole.

The butcher, Prime Specialty Meats, has a sense of humour along with some fine produce like Black Angus



fillet which he says 'once you've had black you'll never go back', settle girls! Next door was a bakery with a wide selection of freshly made bread. I bought some sour dough rolls which were a treat to eat. The Deli has one of the best selections of olives and antipasto ingredients I've seen. I bought some of the rainbow coloured olives to try on a platter. They are visually very pleasing and, I was told, all natural, except for the red olives which are coloured with beetroot. Around the corner in the complex is a Wheel and Barrow for all your kitchen/lifestyle purchases.

There's a tea shop with a great range of interesting teas. I found a budda ball which opens into a flower when infused and makes a jasmine tea. I'd enjoyed it at the Sofitel, Broadbeach along with a delicious strawberry chocolate which I found in the very tempting shop next door, Sweet. Beautiful handmade chocolates here.

Spendlove Bistro runs up the middle of the centre and was full of Sunday morning breakfasters. It was busy and the food was great.

Ferry Road Market, Brickworks Centre, 107 Ferry Rd., Southport.