Search for the perfect cupcake - Tommy Bahamas



On Sunday I was strolling down Hastings Street, Noosa on a mission to enjoy an ice cream at Massimo's  (rockmelon and lychee sorbet was my choice) when I was distracted by cupcakes on offer at Tommy Bahamas.

This shop is better known for its distinctive men's wear - think Hawaiian shirts with a twist - but they have a coffee shop hidden away in the corner which does a fair trade.  There's seating out on the verandah and it's just around the corner from the beach which adds up to a great location.

My eagle eye spied cupcakes in the counter and after a closer look I just had to try one.  Pretty and pink, they looked delicious and the name 'Raspberry Macadamia Cupcake Friand' pushed all my buttons.

And I was not disappointed. The cake had a subtle almond flavour with plenty of macadamia crunchy bits. The surprise was the deep well of raspberry butter icing which was a wonderful foil to the cake - rich and creamy.

Although the friand mix is not a traditional cupcake style, it does get around the problem of freshness.  Cupcakes are definitely at their peak when fresh and the harsh environment of a cool cabinet is not always their friend.  On a Sunday afternoon a friand is generally a safer option unless you are a cupcake freak like me and can't pass up an opportunity.

Tommy Bahamas, Netanya, 75 Hastings Street, Noosa Heads. 54472328.