Search for the perfect cupcake - Sunbeam's Pattie

 

I love making cupcakes but I live in Brisbane, Queensland.  It's hot here in summer and too hot some days to heat up the house by turning on the oven.  That's why I was very interested when I saw Sunbeam's Pattie in a catalogue.  I thought it would be the perfect solution to the heat problem and I've been proven right.

I asked Sunbeam if they would let me play with one and next day one arrived by delivery!  Thank you Sunbeam.





After a few experimental batches, the cupcakes I've made in my 'Miss Pattie' are divine.  They are moist and cook in just 10 minutes. Granted I sometimes have to do two batches but it doesn't seem a hard job.  Perhaps it's because the kitchen stays nice and cool.  I'm guessing that it's also kind to the environment as I'm not heating up a whole oven for just a 10 -15 minute bake.


The only down side of Miss Patty is that she doesn't brown the top - instead I've noticed on those that I've overcooked that it's the base that gets a bit brown. Dang!


I've tried Miss Patty with tiny mini cupcakes and they worked really well. I just cooked them for seven minutes and did a couple of batches.  With mounded icing on top they looked like little truffles and were a great post dinner party treat.

Getting the patty cases in and out is a little tricky as the whole of the 'oven' gets hot. But I haven't burnt myself yet so it's obviously pretty idiot proof.  I use a pair of tongs to help get them out which seems to work.

Here's a Quick Mix Basic Cupcake recipe from the Sunbeam book that came with Miss Patty.  I've made it a few times and it works well.

Makes 12
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking: 10 -12 mins (I think 10 as long as you don't over fill the cases and the ingredients are room temperature)

1 3/4 cups self raising flour
3/4 cup caster sugar
2/3 cup milk
2 x 59g eggs, lightly beaten
125g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 Preheat cupcake maker until ready light goes on. Prepare 12 patty cases for mixture

2. Combine ingredients into a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium and beat for about 1 minute or until there are no lumps. Do not over beat.

3 Divide mixture into cases then place six cases into cupcake maker. Close the lid and cook cupcakes for 10 - 12 mintues or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean (I found about 10 min was perfect). Remove using a heatproof spatula onto a wire rack. Repeat.

4 Allow cupcakes to cool and ice.

Here's a basic butter cream icing mixture

125g butter, softened
1 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture
1 -2 tablespoons milk

1 Place butter into a small bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium high speed until the butter is pale in colour. Reduce speed and gradually add sugar and milk and beat until smooth.

2. Add food colouring of flavoured essence if desired. For chocolate sift 2-3 tablespoons of cocoa powder into the icing sugar mixture at the beginning.

Note to all my friends - expect cupcakes went I next turn up!