|That's not me dancing on the stage - honest!|
This year Ambi offers a not to be missed line-up of indie rock, blues, folk and nu jazz with 15 acts on three stages, roving entertainment and street performers. Added to this live extravaganza is the choice of around 50 entrée-sized dishes from leading Brisbane restaurants and featuring the city's next generation of talented young chefs.
I'm looking forward to trying the Gunshop Cafes' Queensland tasting plate - Granite Belt wild rabbit and pistachio terrine with Stanthorpe apple and thyme compote, Qld cheddar, Bunnyconnellen olives and Leavain sourdough.
As has become the norm on the first Sunday in August, several thousand seasoned Ambi-goers will grab their picnic rugs and head to the Ambiwerra Sports Fields, Erinvale Street, Corinda, 10.30am to 5pm, for an indulgent day of good fun, fabulous food and entertainment.
On the main stage on August 1, Australia's first lady of rock of Railroad Gin fame, Carol Lloyd, will set the mood, followed by Stylus best known for their 70's hit Summer Breeze.
Next up are the Mentals, and after three decades Mental as Anything and their idiosyncratic brand of garage pop is just as listen-able as ever. The famed lead singer of Sherbert, Daryl Braithwaite, who remains integral to the evolution and development of Australian popular music, takes to the stage at 4pm and is Ambi's 'must see live' act of the day.
There are two other stages at Ambi, with stage one featuring local, emerging talent including Mardi Lumsden and the Rising Seas, Tim Gaze and Friends, Isaac Paddon and the Tides, and Angels Ink, while on the second stage, a selection of nu jazz is accompanied by some of Queensland's finest musicians on sax, trombone, guitar and keys.
Several restaurants make their Ambi debut this year - Confit Bistro (Jason Peppler), Moda (Javier Codina), Scales and Ales (Frank Correnti), Brents (Brent Farrell) and The Gunshop Café (Jason Coolen) are all creating their perfect Ambi menus for the first time. These will feature alongside long-standing Ambi favourites, Restaurant Rapide and Zenbar, with freshly shucked Odyssey Oysters from Coffin Bay, Kingaroy Cheese, Sultans Kitchen, Vietnamese Cuisine, and the popular Ambiwerra tradition - strawberries and cream.
Not only is the food at Ambiwerra renowned, so is the extensive selection of more than 100 boutique and big name fine wines, French bubbles and beer that is on offer.
Ambiwerra Festival is an 18+ all-weather event and attendees are encouraged to bring a picnic rug, sunscreen, hat and umbrella.
Tickets to Ambiwerra are available now through Ticketek. For more details visit: www.ambiwerra.com.au Tickets also are available at the gate on Sunday August 1 and a free shuttle bus runs between Corinda Station and the Festival all day. Ambiwerra's charity partner is Surf Life Saving Queensland.
Adults: $65 Seniors / Age Pension cardholders: $20 (with ID). From Ticketek on 132 849 (Booking fees apply) Call 07 3278 5122 or visit www.ambiwerra.com.au
RESTAURANTS & MENUS
MORE FOOD – PROVIDORES OF TASTE
• Freshly shucked Odyssey Oysters from Coffin Bay served natural w fresh lemon
• Fresh Queensland prawns direct from the Mooloolaba Wharf w homemade Thousand Island dressing
Chef: Sam Walters
Shop 1, 4 Martha Street, Camp Hill / Ph: 3843 5755
• Fresh prawns on vine ripened tomato tart w rocket & basil pesto
• Beef ragu in a baked potato cup w sour cream & chives
• Cannoli filled w chocolate cream, served w berry compote
SCALES AND ALES
Chef: Frank Correnti
5 Wambool Street, Bulimba / Ph: 3899 4001
• Beer battered fish & chips
• Beer steamed Spring Bay mussels
Chef: Javier Codina
Edward Street, Brisbane CBD /Ph: 3221 7655
Javier's traditional Spanish Paella – a luscious blend of Bahia rice, Queensland seafood, chicken, pork & saffron poached in lobster stock
BRENTS - The Dining Experience
Chef: Brent Farrell
85 Miskin Street, Toowong / Ph: 3378 9466
• Braised beef cheek, truffle creamed potatoes, red wine jus
• Crispy confit of duck, eureka lemon & liquorice wafer
• Citrus cured salmon, sour apple jelly, herb crème fraiche & grissini
ZENBAR Chef: Simon Garbutt
Park Level, Post Office Square, 215 Adelaide Street, Brisbane CBD /
Ph: 3211 2333
• Zen spring rolls of chicken & prawn w soy lime dipping sauce (2)
• Duck wraps w cucumber, shallots, hoisin sauce & Chinese pancake (2)
• Chinese-style steamed dim sims w soy chilli dipping sauce (3)
• Zen pad thai w chicken, prawns & roasted peanuts
• Vietnamese rice paper rolls w spicy nam jim dipping sauce (vg)
v – vegetarian g – gluten free
Chef: Jason Peppler
Shop 4/9 Doggett Street, Fortitude Valley / Ph: 3254 4001
• BBQ'd Victorian lamb, spinach & roasted sweet potato salad, hummus
• Seared calamari w garlic, chilli, rocket & aioli
• 'Grants' mixed mini ice cream cones
THE GUNSHOP CAFÉ
Chef: Jason Coolen
53 Mollison Street, West End / Ph: 3844 2241
• Queensland tasting plate. Granite Belt wild rabbit & pistachio terrine w Stanthorpe apple & thyme compote, Qld cheddar, Bunnyconnellen olives & Leavain sourdough
• Cripsy skin pork belly w chorizo and Spanish bean
• The Gunshop callebaut flourless chocolate cake w local strawberries & double cream
67 William Street, Kingaroy / Ph: 07 4162 5990
• Gourmet platter featuring award-winning cheeses
• Selection of cheese to purchase
LUSCIOUS STRAWBERRIES & CREAM
• Served plain or w cream / chocolate / dust of icing sugar
163 Given Terrace, Paddington / Ph: 3368 2194
• Lamb korma
• Butter chicken
• Mixed vegetable curry
• Spinach & potato curry
• Curry rolls
• Vegetable pakoras
• Chilli chicken tenders
• Spring rolls, dim sim, curry puffs, prawn chips
• Rice paper rolls
• Sweet potato & prawn tempura
• Crab claws
• Chicken satay
• BBQ garlic prawns
• Salt & pepper calamari
• Special fried rice
• Singapore noodles