Next Door, Paddington

Yet another coffee shop on Latrobe Terrace at Paddington opposite Woolworths has opened so we are now spoilt for choice.

Recently opened Merlo has certainly found a ready market with a willing crowd lining up most times I visit.

In a clever move, Sassafras found space underneath an old Queenslander converted into offices and created Next Door, a hole in the wall style coffee shop that serves simple food and coffee with a small amount of outdoor seating.



This is definitely a fine weather venue as there's only enough space inside to make coffee and maybe swing a small cat (only joking about the cat).

The menu is compact although their flyer promises goodies such as Leavain sourdough and syrupy pistachio cake inspired by Rose Bakery in Paris. All I saw on my visit was a coconut and raspberry muffin which I snapped up. It was good, although I couldn't really taste the coconut just the texture and richness.

The coffee is Dark Star which comes from Perth and according to the flyer has ' a growing reputation as one of Australia's best boutique coffee blends. A rich, full-of-flavour coffee blend that has been ten years in the making.'  I did enjoy my cup and found the flavour rich and strong.

Next Door, 84 Latrobe Terrace, Paddington. Open from 7am.