Dinner in 30 - Potato, Bacon and Sage Agnolotti with burnt butter and sage sauce


I eat out a lot. Yes, I can feel your waves of sympathy, NOT.

So when I'm cooking at home I often want a fairly simple meal that's easy to make but still full flavoured and nutritionally sound - well,  fairly nutritionally sound.


About 30 minutes from start to finish is my ideal cooking time preference.  Any more and I'm starting to wonder why, after a busy day and a gym session, I am still standing in the kitchen.  That's not to say that I don't like experimenting with new recipes and sometimes spending hours on fiddly meals, it just has to be at the right time.

Pasta is a frequent menu item at our house and I've tried most brands.  I was impressed with the fresh flavour and texture of the San Remo Potato Bacon & Sage Agnolotti that arrived on my doorstep courtesy of San Remo.

The foodie in me couldn't resist tricking it up a little with some extra bacon on top. I also melted the butter in the same pan as used to cook the bacon for a bit of extra flavour kick.

This was a quick meal to prepare, taking less than 30 minutes including preparing the salad, but don't tell K2. 

Add the lemon to serve as it really cuts through the butter for a cleaner flavour.


Potato, Bacon and Sage Agnolotti with burnt butter and sage sauce (serves 2)

375g San Remo Potato Bacon & Sage Agnolotti.
100g butter.
30 sage leaves.
Salt & pepper.
¼ cup toasted pine nuts.
Lemon wedges, to serve.

Cook pasta according to directions then drain and transfer to large warmed serving bowls. Meanwhile, heat butter in a large frying pan until it melts. Add sage leaves and cook gently for about 5 minutes or until the butter froths and starts to brown slightly; do not allow the butter to brown. 

Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle sage and butter sauce over the Agnolotti. Serve sprinkled with pine nuts and lemon wedges on the side.