It was the sort of steak you dream about - tender, full of beefy flavour and a hint of delicious fat, a taste to remember and salivate about later.
Tajima Fullbood Wagu was crowned Australia's best steak in what the organisers are calling Australia's most prestigious branded beef competition which is part of the RNA's Royal Queensland Food and Wine Show (RQFWS).
Kilroy presenting the trophy for Australia's best steak, Tajima Fullblood
Wagyu to Andrews Meat Industries from Lidcome, NSW with Chief Judge
"The Tajima Fullbood Wagyu from Andrews Meat Industries displays a beautiful balance between the fat marbling and the background flavour of the meat," says RQFWS Chief Judge Russell Smith. “This consistency of product quality is what the red meat industry has been striving for over the past decade.
Want to try it? Keep an eye on Cha Cha Char's menu where it's likely to star.
The word is that plenty of rain (yes we have had a lot lately) has meant the standard of beef is exceptionally high at the moment and we can look forward to some excellent eating - bring on the barbie!
This competition is serious stuff. For two days panels of judges cooked, tested and tasted almost 40 entries to ultimately award the best retail beef and lamb on the Australian market. Chatting with Russell Smith I learnt that more entries in a competition such as this makes it easier to judge as the best meat stands out easily from the rest. However, it does all come down to personal taste in the end and its Russell's job to make sure the judges come out with a final decision with which everyone is happy.
One of the biggest surprises for me was that Aldi was a winner, achieving Gold in the MSA Graded (non Wagyu) section with Highland Park Grassfed Beef. No wins for Coles or Woolworths.
Competition winners earn the right to display their gold, silver or bronze medal on product packaging, ensuring consumers know they are buying the best of the best in that product range. Here's the winner's list so you know what to look for -
AUSTRALIA’S BEST STEAK - The John Kilroy Cha Cha Char Champion Branded Beef of Show
- Tajima Fullblood Wagyu exhibited by Andrews Meat Industries from Lidcome in New South Wales
Champion MSA Graded (Non Wagyu) Branded Beef of Show
- Highland Park Grassfed Beef exhibited by Aldi Stores from Minchinbury in New South Wales
Lend Lease Grain-Fed MSA Graded
- Gold: Stockyard Gold exhibited by Stockyard from Brisbane in Queensland.
- Silver: Drovers Pride exhibited by Australian Country Choice from Morningside in Queensland
- Bronze: Kimberley Red exhibited by Signature Beef from Clermont in Queensland
Lend Lease Grass-Fed MSA Graded
- Gold: Highland Park Grassfed Beef exhibited by Aldi Stores from Minchinbury in New South Wales
- Silver: Manning Valley exhibited by Wingham Beef Exports from Wingham in New South Wales
- Bronze: Cape Grim Tasmanian Natural Beef exhibited by Greenham Tasmania from Melbourne in Victoria
The Australian Wagyu Association Wagyu Class – AUSMEAT Marble Score 1 to 5 – MSA and Non MSA
- Gold: Darling Downs Wagyu exhibited by the Australian Agricultural Company from Brisbane in Queensland
The Australian Wagyu Association Wagyu Class – AUSMEAT Marble Score 6+ – MSA and Non MSA
- Gold: Tajima Fullblood Wagyu exhibited by Andrews Meat Industries from Lidcome in New South Wales
- Silver: Master Kobe exhibited by the Australian Agricultural Company from Brisbane in Queensland
- Bronze: Stockyard Black exhibited by Stockyard from Brisbane in Queensland
ANZ Agribusiness Open Class – Non MSA and Organic
- Gold: Royal Beef exhibited by JBS Australia from Dinmore in Queensland
- Silver: Spring Grove Non MSA Australian Beef exhibited by Atron Enterprises from Wahroonga in New South Wales
2012 RQFWS Branded Lamb Winners
AUSTRALIA’S BEST LAMB - Champion Branded Lamb of Show
- New England Gold exhibited by Country Fresh Nationwide from Newstead in Queensland
Meat and Livestock Australia Branded Lamb MSA and Non MSA
- Gold: New England Gold exhibited by Country Fresh Nationwide from Newstead in Queensland
- Silver: Sovereign 5 Star exhibited by Sovereign 5 Star Lamb from Mansfield in Queensland
- Bronze: Tasmanian Royal exhibited by Melrose Wholesale Meats from Sherwood in Queensland
Royal Queensland Show