Express lunch at Bucci


Every week an email arrives telling me what I could be enjoying for lunch on Bucci's Express menu.

It's a clever bit of marketing as it titillates my taste buds, keeps the restaurant top of mind and also offers great value.

So with two friends in tow, I headed to Bucci to test out their menu.The choice is two or three courses with a glass of wine - two courses $29.95 and three for $34.50.  With the average price of a glass of wine hovering around $9 - $10, the lunch is great value for money.

We all chose the Bruschetta fichi e proscuitto - Roasted fig, proscuitto di parm and buffalo feta - rather than the equally delicious option of spiced chicken and tomato on a rosemary stick. 

The serve was a good size for an entrée and I loved the salty, succulent proscuitto and large slice of juicy fig on a bed of gorgonzola.  What happened to the buffalo feta?  Well you'll have to ask the kitchen.  No problem for me as I think it worked a treat but my friend who doesn't like gorgonzola was a little disappointed. No biggie.





For the main course we split between the crumbed barramundi fingers with a creamy garlic aioli and lemon served with a rocket and roast tomato salad topped with a little parmesan.  The barra was perfectly moist with a crunchy coating while the salad was exceptionally flavoursome.  It wasn't a big serve but just perfect for my appetitite.

My companions had no complaints either about their pasta with smoked pancetta and broccoli.



The Global Goddess needed to satisfy her inner child with rice pudding and Nonna Bucci's vanilla risotto pudding with poached quince put a smile on her face.  Fortunately she allowed me a taste and I loved the creamy texture, touch of lemon zest and crunch of pistachios on top.

Bucci, 15 James Street, Fortitude Valley.

Bottom line:  Set menus like this one can be terrific value.
Best tip: Subscribe to Bucci's newsletter and daily updates of this blog too :)- there's a button on the right.

Kerry Heaney

Bucci on Urbanspoon