1889 Enoteca, Woolloongabba




A change of plans saw me joining friends Alison and Lara at a Woolloongabba eatery that I've had on my list for a long time.

1889 Enoteca is located in that funny little bit at the end of Logan Road with plenty of street parking outside. The street is currently being revamped so there's a bit of work going on. The heritage listed Taylor-Heaslop building (circa 1889), is very cute and the fit out certainly does it justice.






By the time I arrived the mains were virtually done and dusted, however I did manage to sample a piece of the pizze. It was gorgonzola, sharp cheese on a crisp base - very good ($22). I was told the gorgonzola risotto with forest mushrooms and truffled pecorino ($23) was also very good.

I was in time for dessert. The choices were tiramisu ($15), poached white peach, vanilla bean ice c ream and almond biscotti with 45ml Passito di Pantalleria ($25).

I chose the Sorbetto with raspberry, mango, orange sorbet and little balls of melon. The flavours in the sorbet were very intense and very good.

Afterwards we met the owner, Emmanuel Sakellarakis, and were given a tour of the premises. The downstairs private dining room was a real surprise. I could really see this room going off big time. It can seat up to 30 people and is located in the cellar with walls lined with wine storage.

Even the toilets are special here with very upmarket basins and a chaise lounge on the list.

Find it at 10-12 Logan Road, Woolloongabba. 3392 4315

Kerry Heaney

1889 Enoteca on Urbanspoon