Johnnie's favourite rum balls - recipe




That second of anticipation, as my hand guides the first rum ball of the season into my mouth, is always a special moment.

I’ve been making rum balls to my grandmother’s recipe for many years. They are named after my father who always liked a drop of rum and anything sweet, so what better than something that combined them both!

While some prefer their rum balls made on cake, to me the coarser texture of crushed Weetbix contrasting with the smooth, rum-soaked raisins and the crunch of the coconut is what a rum ball is all about.

It has to be Bundaberg Rum, of course! Except this year I do admit that I’m tempted to try a spiced rum like Sailor Jerry. There will have to be two batches I think. Goodie!

The chopped raisins can be soaked in the rum to soften them and improve the flavour.

Three tablespoons of rum is adequate although my son Alexander, who is the official family rum ball taster, often has to try the mixture several times to ensure I have the rum balance correct. Don’t worry, he’s a grown up now and writes the Ed+bK bar reviews.

I hope you enjoy making and eating these rum balls as much as I do.




Ingredients:

Makes: 24 balls

10 Vita Brits or Weet-Bix

1/2 cup coconut

1 cup chopped raisins

2 tablespoons cocoa

1 (400 g) can condensed milk

3 tablespoons Bundaberg rum (dark rum)

extra coconut or chocolate sprinkles



Directions:

1 Chop the raisins and leave to soak in the rum. (You can do this the day before if you like).

2 Crush the Weetbix in a bag with a rolling pin. They have to be fine, but still with some texture.

3 Mix all the ingredients well in a bowl.

4 Cover in the fridge for ½ hour.

5 Shape into balls using a large teaspoon and roll in coconut. You can also roll them in chocolate sprinkles for variation.


Best tip: Don’t eat too much of the mixture or you won’t have enough rum balls. It’s happened!

Leave a comment:  Do you have a favourite rum ball recipe?  Please share it below.