Meet the farmers of the Scenic Rim for Eat Local Week which runs until July 6 and you can sit on a tractor and pick your own bag of carrots to take home.
It’s a week celebrating the bounteous produce of this rich food bowl just outside of Brisbane with low-cost farm tours, cheese making workshops and cooking classes.
There’s also an authentic Winter Harvest Festival on July 5 at Aratula with cooking demonstrations by chef Alastair McLeod using local produce and plenty of tasting plates. However the big question is who will win the tractor pulling competition?
Local Mayor Cr John Brent, who is also a third generation vegetable farmer, says it's all about highlighting the benefits of sourcing in-season food close to the source, a goal close to the heart of every good food lover.
"Agriculture and tourism contribute $402 million to the regional economy and Eat Local Week is a celebration of the people whose hard work makes that possible," says Cr Brent.
Ed+bK's event highlights
- Towri Sheep Cheeses Farm Tour and Tastings - starts with a milking demonstration and opportunities to feed the lambs, followed by a visit to the cheese room.
- Degustation Eat Local Week lunch at Songbirds Rainforest Retreat at Tamborine Mountain - try local beef, pork, dairy, cheese, crayfish and fresh produce from the region and the restaurants own garden.
- Kid's cooking workshop, North Tamborine. Learn basic kitchen skills using local produce.
- Witches Falls Wine Matching Dinner with local produce at Pethers Rainforest Retreat.
- Brauer Farm Organic Produce Tour, Tamborine Mountain - a tour of an organic fruit and vegetable garden with tips on composting, germination and growing fresh healthy produce.
- Tamborine Cooking School Class and lunch, Tamborine Mountain - cook and enjoy an eight course banquet with produce sourced locally and local wines.
- Songbirds Rainforest Retreat Degustation Dinner, Tamborine Mountain
|Locally grown heritage tomatoes|
- Kalfrest Carrot Field Day - Kalbar - get your hands dirty picking carrots to take home, see how it all works on the farm.
- Winter Harvest Festival - Aratula - from 10am to 4 pm meet the farmers, taste the food, buy their produce. Cooking demonstrations by Alastair McLeod.
- Just Past the Solstice Farm Tour, Mt Tamborine Organic Garden - a tour of an organic garden
- Harry's Cafe Communal Breakfast - Boonah - free range eggs, seasonal local mushrooms, house made goats cheese and house baked bread.
- From Olive Branch to Table, Oliva di Tabragla, Tabragalba
So remember Brisbane, it's all on your doorstep.
There's a full list of events on the Eat Local Week website.