Time to break out and find some new favourites? 4BC Radio host Karni Liddel certainly thinks so. "I want to find some new places to go," she says. So I made a little list of restaurants, cafes and bars that won't disappoint.
Cheap and cheerfulCheap shouldn't mean a drop in flavour so hunt out places that don’t sacrifice good quality ingredients to cut costs.
• Chur Burger, Fortitude Valley - $10 gourmet burgers – no need to say more
• The Bun Mobile - Asian style steam buns filled with three different fillings each day for $9 and sometimes they throw in a salted caramel banana bun. YUM! Check their website for the current location.
• Statler & Waldorf, Caxton Street - Gastronomy pub with simple food done very well, plus you can add bacon to any meal for $3.
|Salted caramel banana bun at The Bun Mobile|
Best tip: Be on the lookout for meal deals at your favourite places, often available early in the week or evening.
|GOMA's dessert is a work of art.|
Special occasion diningYou need a sense of occasion, a good atmosphere and great food for a memorable experience. My picks here are all in Brisbane's CBD.
• Restaurant Two - Elegant décor and mid-week degustation is a bargain.
• Prive 249 – Sophisticated atmosphere with exquisite food.
• Esquire - Brisbane’s only Three Hat restaurant
• Goma Restaurant - Award winning chef creating delicious and thoughtful food.
• Urbane – Award winning chef offering 5 or 8 course degustation and caters for vegetarians
Best tip: Check out the restaurant for your favourite table and request it when booking.
|Vintaged, Hilton Hotel.|
Best steakWhen only a steak will do head out to a venue that specialises. Look for a restaurant that has a dry aged meat cabinet and a menu that talks about the origin of the beef and breed, as this shows they take their steak seriously.
• Black Hide, Caxton Street - Awarded Australia’s Best Steak Restaurant it also has a Chefs Hat.
• Black Bird Bar & Grill, Eagle Street, CBD
• Vintaged Bar + Grill, Hilton Brisbane, Queen Street, CBD
• Norman Hotel, Wooloongabba
Best tip: Ask for the chef’s recommendation on how to have your steak (blue/medium rare/medium etc)
Best cocktail listMost bars make cocktails but if it’s going to be an occasion pick somewhere with great décor or a view.
• Emporium Hotel , Fortitude Valley – eclectic décor matched with an innovative cocktail list
• Bar Pacino, Eagle Street - very new with great views.
• Bacchus, South Bank – drinks by the pool plus an award winning wine list.
Best tip - Stop at one espresso martini or you'll have regrets the next day.
Where to meet a man/woman in Brisbane?Karin also asked for some tips on meeting that special person. Try starting by meeting your neighbours with your neighbourhood restaurant which also has a great bar and at least you’ll have something in common.
• Lefty’s Old Time Music Hall, Caxton Street, Petrie Terrace
• Bungalow Bar, Rosalie
• Habitat, West End
• Longtime, Fortitude Valley
Best tip: Hunt in a pack of two as it’s less intimidating for your prey.