Sleeping around - Beach Club Port Douglas


The water is that special shade of blue that makes my heart sing and the sand so white and fine I think they must have stolen it from Whitehaven.

But I'm in Port Douglas, an hour’s drive north of Cairns, staying at the very chic Peppers Beach Club.


When they say beach club, they don't mean it's beside the water but that they have bought the beach to the club. Smack in the middle of the three level, u-shaped complex, is a huge swimming pool surrounded on one side by a most realistic beach that continues past the water’s edge.  I spend a good part of the afternoon testing out the water, the sun lounge and the swim up bar.  With direct access from my room it's all too hard to resist.

I'm here to experience a taste of what's in store for Carnivale (18 to 27 May) an event that sees Port Douglas let down it's hair and loosen up it's belts for some luxurious eating, drinking, lunching and dining Port style. There's the Sheraton Mirage Longest Lunch, Audi Palates of Port and a Seafood Extravaganza all on one weekend this year (18 - 20).




My private gate entry to the swimming pool.

Looking around at the loved up kissing couples who are also enjoying the pool until they retreat to their rooms (say no more), it would seem that the relaxed ambiance is infectious.



The resort’s restaurant is perfectly positioned overlooking the pool with large open Moroccan-like, draped ’windows’ complete with lounging cushions. We breakfast by the pool which is a great way to start the day.




Yep - that's the swimming pool just behind the gate.

I'm loving my room too! So spacious I feel like ringing my friends and throwing a partae, but they are several thousand kilometers away so I compromise by watching a bit of TV and enjoying the surround sound.  The barbecue on the patio outside goes unused as does the kitchen, but I could easily plan another holiday to remedy that.

Port Douglas’ main hub, Macrossan Street, is a walkable distance down the road.  Here there’s plenty of retail therapy on offer and more than 40 restaurants in the area.

Don’t miss the $22 Shop, which in my case was actually the $44 Shop, for a few holiday bargains to pad out your traveling wardrobe.  


Another must do if you're in Port, as the locals call it, on a Sunday are the market stalls. My purchases included really red coral earrings, mangosteens for the troops at home to eat and some vibrant orange helliconias, which for $12 will fill my house with colour for more than a week.
 
Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas has a great deal for Carnivale from 18 to 27 May. Guests staying for four nights from $288* per night in a Spa Suite and will only pay for three nights – that’s one night free! Valid until 22 June, 2012. Call 1300 987 600 or visit www.peppers.com.au. *Subject to availability.

Disclaimer: Kerry travelled courtesy of Tourism Port Douglas Daintree